What Is Boho Hair?
Relaxed and effortless are the keywords when on a mission to master that laid-back boho hair look, whether you’re in a casual or formal setting. If you don’t have hair effortlessly falling out of your messy bun, braid or loose lock look, your boho style is not on point. The looser the better. Your Boho hairstyle should be as free spirited as your boho outfit.
The coolest aspect of the Boho Hairstyle is that there is no right or wrong way to wear it. There are so many different styles that you could pull off – braids however seem to take the lead, whether your hair is short or long, there’s usually a braid sticking out of somewhere.
What Is a Boho Braid?
The beautiful thing about a boho braid is that there is no one way or one style of braided hair. Anyway you want to braid it, as long as it still has an airy and messy feel to it. Some hairs should be sticking out of it and and hair gel is a big no no. There is also no occasion where you can’t pull off a braid, this hairstyle is so versatile, you can dress it up or dress it down – Although when it comes to pulling off a boho look, you’re going to want to dress it down.
Different Types of Braids
- Simple 3 Strand Braid
- French Braid
- Fishtail Braid
- Dutch Braid
- 4 Strand Braid
- Rope Twisted Braid
- Pull Through Braid
- Reverse Braid
- Waterfall Braid
- Milkmaid Braids
Check out these step by step instructions from StyleCraze.com on how to pull off each of the styles above.
Another great thing about a boho hair style is that you don’t have to stick to just one. A combination of different boho styles at the same time is like boho bonus points. Feel free to to do a messy bun with a reverse braid or a dutch braid made up of little 3 strand braids. The possibilities are endless when it comes to boho hair.
General Boho Hair Guidelines
- Beach Waves – The ultimate bohemian hair style that’s super easy to achieve and considerably easier to maintain than glamorous, put together waives without wisp sticking out. it’s all about that easy, effortless and natural beach inspired vibe. The way your hair looks when it naturally air dries after a day at the beach – salt water and all.
- Messy Updo – Hassle-free, comfortable and messy are just what the boho doctor ordered when it comes to boho hairstyle. One of those set it and forget it type hair dos that you don’t need to work on or maintain. I rock this one a lot.
- Braids – boho hair style is all about that messy braid, and whether you opt for a classic French, Three-Way, Dutch do, a Feather or a Fishtail braid, (non of which I know how to do btw) – you are sure to nail that boho braided perfection that’s all about imperfection.
- Tight and Structured Hairdos – If you are aiming for that ultimate boho look, looking polished and put together is not the way to go. Bohemian style is generally inspired by movement and flow – You literally have to look like you just rolled out of bed like this and that your hair is so boho, it braids itself. Now that’s hair goals!
Boho Hair Colors
There’s definitely a way to add color to your hair but still look effortlessly boho. the trick is to let it look as natural as possible – here are some general do’s and dont’s when it comes to dying your boho hair. Whether you are highlighting part or all of your hair, you want to stick to the basic natural hair colors – Brown, soft blonde, red and orange hues. If someone somewhere could have been born with it, than it’s natural enough.
- Add layered highlights and / or lowlights in your hair
- Go for Ombre or Balayage to add a natural multi-dimensional effect
- Don’t use artificial colors like blue black, cherry red (Aquaman style) or bleach blonde – ain’t no one is born that blonde, you’re not fooling anyone. And definitely don’t go for any other colors of the rainbow.
Boho Hair Accessories
Definitely the most fun part of boho hair is the accessories. From floral headbands and hairpins to bandanas and hair jewelry – accessorize your hair anyway you want. As long as it effortlessly fits into your messy bun or messy braid or messy wavy hair, boho hair accessories are not only acceptable, they are a must have!
Check Out The Full List of Boho Hair Accessories You Need To Get Right Now! Fun Scarf and Headband Sets – All Under $20!
- Floral hairpins
- Floral crowns
- Bohemian hair wraps
- And chains (Oh my!)
- Artificial materials like plastic
- Big bows
- Futuristic metal accessories
- Retro designs from decades before the ‘60s – like the feather headbands from the 20’s